The Buttrick estate’s gardens are located at the North Bridge Visitor Center of the Minute Man National Historical Park. They are a significant as an example of a 20th century designed landscape and are attributed to local landscape architects Harold Hill Blossom and Charles H. Wheeler. The gardens are an integral component of the 6-acre historic landscape that surrounds the National Register-listed 1911 Buttrick House.
The formal gardens are renowned for their collection of iris, bred by Stedman Buttrick Jr., while the more naturalistic terrace garden affords a beautiful view of the Concord River. The gardens are beloved by the local community, and every year over a half a million visitors enjoy the gardens as part of their visit to the park. The gardens overlook the North Bridge and the location of the one of the opening battles of the American Revolution.
The garden is in need of yearly maintenance and long-term preservation of its historic plant material, stone and brick walkways, and wrought iron railings.
The Friends of Minute Man are proud to support the gardens and provide resources to the Park to aid in their maintenance and preservation through our annual garden fundraiser and grants.
To learn more about the history of the Buttrick Gardens, please download the Cultural Landscape Report for the Buttrick House Gardens, published by the Olmsted Center for Landscape Preservation in 2010.