Window Preservation at the North Bridge Visitor Center

The windows of the historic Buttrick Mansion are receiving some much needed care after years of use. Built in 1911, the building was first home to Stedman Buttrick and his family (descendants of Major John Buttrick) and has served as the North Bridge Visitor Center for over 50 years.

Each window is being carefully numbered, removed, and brought to the Olde Bostonian workshop for a full restoration. The windows are being restored in batches and the first set of windows were returned and installed in January. The original components of the window are being preserved and repaired which includes sanding, repainting, and replacing the glazing putty to create a weather-tight seal. Aside from looking great, the windows are now more energy efficient!

The window restoration is part of a major exterior preservation project at the North Bridge Visitor Center. The project is funded from the National Park Service Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (FRLEA – entrance fees collected at national parks subsequently distributed to projects addressing the National Park Service deferred maintenance backlog).  To learn more about the preservation project, click here: https://www.nps.gov/…/preservation-to-north-bridge-visitor-…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *